Many people don’t understand how amazing bees really are. Watch the two videos below to begin understanding what makes them so special.
What did you learn about bees that you never knew before? What did you find most interesting?
Watch this video about bees, and write down 5 facts you learned.
- After watching previous videos and reading the information above, write a short essay about what you find most amazing or interesting about bees, or create a PowerPoint presentation with key facts about them.
- Complete the quiz below.
Can you do bee math? Many of you have because it is a common lesson in high school geometry. Read the information below and then complete the linked worksheet.
- The formula for the sum of the interior angles of a regular polygon is n-2(180), where n is the number of sides. The measure of one interior angle (n-2(180))/n, so in other words, simply find the sum of the interior angles and then divide by the number of sides. To find an exterior angle of a polygon the formula is 180-the measure of the interior angle.
- How is a bee society similar to our own?
- How and why are bees so important to us, and what consequences does a declining bee population present? What is a keystone species?
- What are specific ways we as individuals can support the health of the bee population?
- Do you view bees differently now than before?
Studying bees is not just a hobby, it is the work of biologists. Becoming a biology major not only provides the opportunity to study the natural world around us but opens the door for many other careers. Research the career opportunities for biology majors, the classes you’ll need to take in college, and the subjects you would need to focus on in high school.
Investigate apiculture (the science of beekeeping). The white boxes we see on properties throughout the Mother Lode are beehives. It is a hobby and enterprise for many people. Many of us have the land and conditions for participating, but it is a labor of love. Is it something you might be interested in trying? Honey…
Did you do today’s activities?
Push the button below to let us know you’ve completed the activities below:
Additional lessons are available for this grade level by pressing “More Lessons” above, or selecting a lesson below:
Today's ActivitiesThe end of the school year is a great time to think about goals. What do you want to accomplish? What do you want to get better at and feel proud of? Watch this video. Kid President has a dream to share with you! What is Kid President telling us...
Today's Activities Reflect on this image. Talk to another person and share thoughts with each other. What this video about Why Will Smith Wants You to Fail Before You Succeed. Do you agree or disagree with Will Smith? Explain what experience(s) in your life led you to...
Today's ActivitiesToday, we’re going to learn to appreciate a pair of organisms that we often just step right over… or immediately pitch into the garbage. One is green, understated, wise: the Yoda of plants. The other is fuzzy and a little funny-smelling. The fungi...