Rock climbing skills, a sense of adventure, the love of the wilderness, willingness to explore the unknown. These are traits that would show up on your resume if you were chosen to explore one of the world’s most spectacular cave systems, like Carlsbad Caverns, for the first time. Take a peek at what it takes to explore caves in Underground Adventures.
- After watching the video clip can you make a list of other skills necessary to be successful in exploring caves? Do you have these skills?
Search online for what a National Park is, and how they came to be. Write down 10 facts about national parks, and explain where you found that information, as well as why you think it is important.
Throughout this week, you are getting an opportunity to virtually visit five different National Parks. Today’s exploration takes us to Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico. Fly with thousands of bats, explore incredible formation, and trek by headlamp through a cave.
After virtually visiting Carlsbad Caverns National Park, think about the following questions.
- What did you notice about this National Park?
- What do you wonder about this National Park?
- What were some unique features about this park that was different than the other parks you virtually visited? Would you want to visit this park someday? Why or why not.
You can also use this template to explain what you learned and share it with a teacher.
By the end of the week, you will have visited 5 different National Parks! Choose one of these five parks you virtually visited, or choose a different one that interests you. Create a brochure, google slide presentation or infographic that encourages visitors to come to the park to enjoy the unique features it has to offer.
- Use this Park Finder or Find a Park to get started.
- Once you pick your National Park, go directly to that National Parks website to find more information.
- Information to include:
- Name and location of the National Park
- Where to stay when visiting the park.
- Activities visitors can participate in at the park.
- Two unique characteristics of the park.
- History of the park – When did it become a park? Why was it preserved as a park? The human history of the area?
- Share your creation with a teacher or parent.
Learn more about our local bat species by visiting the Gold Country Bat Project.
Read this if you are interested in learning more about the History & Culture of Carlsbad Caverns NP.
Learn about the geology of caves by watching How Caves are Formed.
Did you do today’s activities?
Push the button below to let us know you’ve completed the activities below:
Additional lessons are available for this grade level by pressing “More Lessons” above, or selecting a lesson below:
What are your Hopes and Dreams?
Today's ActivitiesThe end of the school year is a great time to think about goals. What do you want to accomplish? What do you want to get better at and feel proud of? Watch this video. Kid President has a dream to share with you! What is Kid President telling us...
Today's Activities Reflect on this image. Talk to another person and share thoughts with each other. What this video about Why Will Smith Wants You to Fail Before You Succeed. Do you agree or disagree with Will Smith? Explain what experience(s) in your life led you to...
Meet our friends, mold and moss
Today's ActivitiesToday, we’re going to learn to appreciate a pair of organisms that we often just step right over… or immediately pitch into the garbage. One is green, understated, wise: the Yoda of plants. The other is fuzzy and a little funny-smelling. The fungi...