Explore the history of how the National Park Service came to be and how Presidents Lincoln, Grant, Roosevelt and Wilson helped protect areas like Yosemite and Yellowstone. Learn the difference between National Forests and National Parks.
Watch the 4 minute video titled Here’s How the National Park Service Got Started from the History Channel.
- 1st time: Watch all the way through without stopping.
- 2nd time: Watch and pause, rewind and fast forward to gather information to complete this Video Review Question Sheet.
Throughout this week, you are going to get an opportunity to virtually visit five different National Parks.
Today’s exploration takes us to Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska.
Rappel into a crevasse, kayak through icebergs, and watch a glacier recede. Click within the video to interactively visit each feature.
After virtually visiting Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska, think about the following questions.
- What did you notice about this National Park?
- What do you wonder about this National Park?
- What were some unique features about this park that was different than the other parks you virtually visited? Would you want to visit this park someday? Why or why not.
You can also use this template to explain what you learned and share it with a teacher.
By the end of the week, you will have visited 5 different National Parks! Choose one of these five parks you virtually visited, or choose a different one that interests you. Create a brochure, google slide presentation or infographic that encourages visitors to come to the park to enjoy the unique features it has to offer.
- Use this Park Finder or Find a Park to get started.
- Once you pick your National Park, go directly to that National Parks website to find more information.
Information to include:
- Name and location of the National Park.
- Where to stay when visiting the park.
- Activities visitors can participate in at the park.
- Two unique characteristics of the park.
- History of the park – When did it become a park? Why was it preserved as a park? The human history of the area?
Share your creation with a teacher or parent.
Learn How Art Helped Establish America’s First National Park through National Park Quest: A Journey of Artists.
Want to know more about Alaska’s history? Watch “Quick History Guide to Alaska” or read this.
Did you do today’s activities?
Push the button below to let us know you’ve completed the activities below:
Additional lessons are available for this grade level by pressing “More Lessons” above, or selecting a lesson below:
What are your Hopes and Dreams?
Today's ActivitiesThe end of the school year is a great time to think about goals. What do you want to accomplish? What do you want to get better at and feel proud of? Watch this video. Kid President has a dream to share with you! What is Kid President telling us...
Today's Activities Reflect on this image. Talk to another person and share thoughts with each other. What this video about Why Will Smith Wants You to Fail Before You Succeed. Do you agree or disagree with Will Smith? Explain what experience(s) in your life led you to...
Meet our friends, mold and moss
Today's ActivitiesToday, we’re going to learn to appreciate a pair of organisms that we often just step right over… or immediately pitch into the garbage. One is green, understated, wise: the Yoda of plants. The other is fuzzy and a little funny-smelling. The fungi...