Leveled Learning Extension: What does the term “single use” mean? Look around your home and find 5 examples of items that are “single use.” For each item, think of one additional way it can be used before being thrown away.
1. Create a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting the key characteristic of sustainability and capitalism.
2. Consider or discuss the following questions:
- How might capitalism promote the efficient use of resources (i.e., natural resources, capital, labor)?
- How might capitalism lead to environmental degradation and resource shortages?
- How might the concept of creating a circular economy connect capitalism and sustainability?
Leveled Learning Extension: How does it save money to reuse an item instead of throwing it away?
1. Research companies that are promoting the idea of the circular economy in their business plan. Here is a website that may help get you started.
2. Share with a parent, teacher, or friend a company that you might support now or in the future and why.
1. Read an evidence-based article concerning capitalism and environmental sustainability. Note: This is one of many perspectives concerning the issue. Click here for an article that addresses the problems capitalism poses for environmental sustainability and here for an article discussing the merits of both arguments.
2. Explore ideas about how you can make your household more sustainable. For example:
- How does recycling work in our community?
- What does it mean to be zero waste?
- Can you create a composting system at home?
Did you do today’s activities?
Push the button below to let us know you’ve completed the activities below:
Single-use vs Reusable
Include your student when making a shopping list and planning the grocery budget. Have a discussion about the cost of certain items over a period of time: for example, a single-use bottle of water compared to a water bottle that can be reused for many years.
Additional lessons are available for this grade level by pressing “More Lessons” above, or selecting a lesson below:
Today's ActivitiesThe end of the school year is a great time to think about goals. What do you want to accomplish? What do you want to get better at and feel proud of? Watch this video. Kid President has a dream to share with you! What is Kid President telling us...
Today's Activities Reflect on this image. Talk to another person and share thoughts with each other. What this video about Why Will Smith Wants You to Fail Before You Succeed. Do you agree or disagree with Will Smith? Explain what experience(s) in your life led you to...
Today's ActivitiesToday, we’re going to learn to appreciate a pair of organisms that we often just step right over… or immediately pitch into the garbage. One is green, understated, wise: the Yoda of plants. The other is fuzzy and a little funny-smelling. The fungi...